welcome

a poetry blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Like the Scene from Halloween

Nights like these we
wake up gasping, calling
for the light, looking for
our glasses. But this night
you were on the sofa
muttering

"I can't go down like this,
can't go down like that, I
don't have the stamina for it,
I don't got the heart" and
you started singing your
little honeybee song.

When it comes it's a flash
of being cold and alone outside
touching cold metal, a cold metal
bar, being alone outside touching
cold monkey bars. Falling asleep
rolling down the home stretch.

Then the second flashback
which goes straight to
your parents' bedroom.
Because you could kick in
the bathroom door. That's
exactly where I'd hide in.

Then a spider climbs down the
white eel curtain from the dark
while you're looking out the window,
so we play backgammon instead. You
win the match but I take the set
and you come back to bed.


2011

No comments:

Post a Comment