welcome

a poetry blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

Foolishly We Go

the old chinese man with big round black glasses
walking a little boy in an Adidas coat
asked for this much more space

held tight to his hand as though
stooping was not unusual

we caught on and understood
in our own waiting way

you were a hip beatnik in a black turtleneck
that day
and I got my sneakers from your trunk

you honked at the haunted world with me
the german shepherd on the steps
a hummingbird at your side

I said he doesn't want to eat you
sometimes the grizzly just removes a threat
in defense a predator attacks

in those days I learned to fight in
ten steps
leaned on you to accept my crutches
and can
remember embracing the excitement
fully

then it misted like firmament
and the day turned winter cold
up jumped toothed daggers

dark and whooshy out now
baby bison and herds of caribou
roaming the tundra outside

and I'm typing in all caps at
night when the sun
never sets


2011

No comments:

Post a Comment