welcome

a poetry blog

Friday, August 12, 2011

Biking in the Dark

greeting the familiar trail's unexpected lifts
out of nowhere, into nothing, then home
these nights when I watch my shadow grow longer
as it's lost again in the next street lamp
stretched too thin, standing on my shoulders
climbing up the handlebars and gone

these streets sprinkled with evening lawn's spray
in neighborhoods the same sound in and out
this house and that like someone approaching
from behind my back, tires suddenly seeming
other than my own though none other than mine
those too passed and on, awake now and gasping

has this town vanished, its inhabitants refusing that
same instinct which brings me out, drawing away instead
behind shades shuttered batlike, just flickering screens
flashing through the cracks of their chosen lives
silent silenced silence that side of the curb, but then
again the next bend next, tight around the curve

you could ask me not to say it and I'd surely oblige
but that would not mean I forget to feel what I am
the freedoms and fear of cracking branches and
crunched gravel under spokes that sing as they spin
my mind reeling as well under dark heaven
moon bright enough to ride these nights when I fly


2011

No comments:

Post a Comment