welcome

a poetry blog

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Hawks and Doves, Doves and Hawks

We had a smokin' hot time together,
didn't we darling, didn't we this
darling day. We did therapy together
this day dear with our questions, and
now it seems come the answers. First

you must give voice to what you
haven't voiced before, calling out
words and names in séance obssession
until you're down to the bone, limbs
pale, the pain real. Fleshed out,
safe now, ready to feel this. Then
sober is the new high. Chasing rainbows
when the sky rises and clouds blow away,
as birds nest in birdhouses and pink
suns set across western ranges.

"This plant's not growing. I give it
love, maybe it needs more love..."
We hold toes as we talk, then
bring out the red pen.


2011

2 comments:

  1. I really like your edits here. And that middle stanza -- straightforward & strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) This one needed a lot of "the red pen" to get that way!

    I'm almost embarrassed at the strength of the middle stanza. I don't like saying "you" like it's a command but it feels right here. I guess I have to trust my experiences and know they speak of a deeper, shared truth.

    ReplyDelete