welcome

a poetry blog

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Itching Your Neck with the Knife

The stars are bright pinpoints of light
across the dark, wide, Leonard Cohen sky.
The moon wears her full length halo as
the darkness walks the water, saying:

You're running away from your pain.

I get up, turn on the light and
stand by the foot of the bed naked
with my hand over my eyes asking
what you want from me, the Voice.

All the memories in the world, babe.
I'll never get to all of them. Besides,
if you're in a torn down place you can't
deal with the past effectively anyway.

If you move on, it doesn't mean you're
running away from your pain or your past.
It doesn't mean you can't live a little.
I'm running toward what I want.

Still

I'm glad I wasn't too scared
to look under this rock.


2011

No comments:

Post a Comment