welcome

a poetry blog

Monday, March 7, 2011

The Lawn Is White but Not the Stone

"The mother was not injured for life
because she made it a lifestyle, but
I am the daughter of it, which means
I was injured for life..."

You closed your old pen and journal
with a flourish. We marveled at the
features of your new Moleskine and
planned the next notebook.

Most people don't accept their pain.
They live on the intention to. Make
demands, feel guilty for it, keep
track of "positive" actions.

Seems strange to take what we want
and discard the rest. I think I could
handle an expression or two of truth
and pain. It would hurt but be okay.

Walking back along the edges I heard
the creek and a foghorn, decided we
should go down to your family's home
at the total eclipse of their moon.


2011

2 comments:

  1. "I think I could
    handle an expression or two of truth
    and pain. It would hurt but be okay."

    Love how you worked this thought into the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poetry has a confessional feel that is very intimate and personal. But, it is intellectual enough to keep me at arm's length with analysis. I really, really dig it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete