welcome

a poetry blog

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Blue Valentine

Idling trucks sound like water running
when you're up at four a.m.

I'm on about going away, drawing back into
a dot, shutting out all sense and thought,

you're off doing yoga in turquoise pants
and a black stitched nightie on a hot pink pad.

Then we watch stars to the northwest
as light makes lines on the closet doors,

me in my cords and cardigan, blue on brown
mismatched slippers, too cool for school,

your long hair on a square pillow.
The brown pillow with turquoise leaves.


2011

2 comments:

  1. This poem is just so absolutely beautiful! I love it just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for saying. I'm surprised by how much can fit into a moment -- how many years, how many lifetimes...

    ReplyDelete