welcome

a poetry blog

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Longing for Freedom, Joy of Captivity

"Maybe I'm dying. God, stop with the morbidity.
Am I so despondent with life that I think about
dying over and over all day?"

ten to four, five to ten, five to five
the saddest, soberist, most serious
thing I've ever heard said civilly

body and bones hurt from stress
bad reflux early that burned your nose
washing your mouth and gagging

"Paranoia?! Anxiety?! Terror?! Prostitutes?!"
you're in a good mood, I'm nonverbal
containing my energy to the room

you said in bed I was your favorite movie
I brushed your hair, you nearly had a headgasm
cursive looks messier but writes quieter

I long to run away with you, our shared
dropping off the face of the earth fantasy
and leave the rest of the world behind


2011

2 comments:

  1. Okay, the Prostitues?! gave me a chuckle. And "you said in bed I was your favorite movie" made me smile; it's a lovely line. As is the final stanza.

    I think your poem shows a relationship as well as the two individuals in it in a uniquely intimate way. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, and the "uniquely intimate" part means a lot to me :)

    ReplyDelete