welcome

a poetry blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Castles Made of Sand, Eventually

What if there were caramel flowing like
a river? It's sticky and would pick up
all this detrius. Giraffes and daffodils.
Owlaphants. I don't know names anymore.
They're meaningless and interchangeable.
They could be anything. Like a good fire
rat in a tank. She made the best fire rat.

"Let's try and communicate using our eyes...
I see this big old rifle, double barreled
shot gun... I see you as a person, I'm not
making stories... I haven't blinked yet..."
Big eyes, like deer about to be splattered
in the windshield eyes. "Are you thinking
about other girls? Making music?" Only time
an eye looked at me, for me, so intently.

We fall asleep like accomplices in sleep
that first night in the new house. Then
the cat jumps down from the windowsill
upstairs late. I'm thinking something
is on the roof, not sure what upstairs
sounds like yet. We sit at the sofa window
making sure the town isn't circling us.

Remember that all this is happening because
we're more aware of our emotions, slowly
sewing the body back onto the head. This
needs to happen, these needs to be accepted.
You sketch a house after an earthquake as
Chile falls to pieces, scaring Hawaii and
the whole coast. The robins have returned.
You hear them like I heard them ealier.


2011

No comments:

Post a Comment